Phyllocrania paradoxa (Ghost Mantis)
Phyllocrania paradoxa (Ghost Mantis) (2nd-4th instar) for sale
Phyllocrania paradoxa (Ghost Mantis) is a relatively easy Praying Mantis to keep and as such is perfect for a beginner keeping exotic invertebrates.
Phyllocrania paradoxa is camouflaged so as to appear as dead, dried-up leaf material. It has an elongated head, a flattened, extended prothorax (together referred to as its “elaborate headdress and shoulder shields” by one enthusiast), and leaf-like protrusions from its limbs. The mantis also has a forewing that looks like a desiccated leaf, and the “creases” in the wings are actually shadings of pigment.
As with most or all species of mantis, Phyllocrania paradoxa is sexually dimorphic, with females being larger than males. Females have six abdominal segments. Males are shorter, narrower, and have eight-segmented abdomens. At the 5th instar and above males are thinner than females and have smaller appendages (lateral of the abdomen). At the 6th instar and above their crowns are different. When adult, males have longer and thicker antennae than females and have transparent wings, which are longer than the abdomen and are good flyers and are significant thinner than the females. At the 5th instar and above females are more compact than males and have bigger appendages. At the 6th instar and above the crown of females are as wide as their head and more line and smoother than the male`s crown. When adult, females are significantly more compact than the male with shorter antennae and the wings cover the abdomen.
genus: Phyllocrania Burmeister, 1838
- Citations (17):
- Burmeister. 1838. Handb. Ent., Burm. 2:548 >> Note: Empusidae (sbfam)
- Saussure. 1869. Mitt. schweiz. ent. Ges. 3:53 >> Note: Empusites
- Saussure. 1871. Mem. Soc. Hist. nat. Geneve 21:322 >> Note: Oxypilites (legio)
- Saussure. 1871. Mem. Soc. Hist. nat. Geneve 21:450
- Stal. 1871. Ofvers. K. VetensAkad. Forh. Stockh. 28(3):383 >> Note: Phyllocraniina (sbfam)
- Saussure. 1872. Mem. Soc. Phys. Hist. nat. Geneve 23:73 >> Note: Oxypilites (legio)
- Stal. 1877. Bih. K. svenska VetensAkad. Handl. 4(10):83 >> Note: Harpagidae (sbfam)
- Westwood. 1889. Revis. Mant. 22 >> Note: Harpagides
- Kirby. 1890. Proc. R. Dublin Soc. 6:568
- Brunner von Wattenwyl. 1893. Annali Mus. civ. Stor. nat. Genova 13(33):72 >> Note: Phyllocraniae
- Kirby. 1904. Syn. Cat. Orth. 1:290 >> Note: Mantidae: Creobotrinae
- Giglio-Tos. 1927. Tierreich 50:518 >> Note: Mantidae: Epaphroditinae: Phyllocraniae (group)
- Beier. 1934. Genera Insect. 196:6 >> Note: Mantidae: Hymenopodinae: Epaphroditini
- Paulian. 1957. Faune Madagascar 5:80 >> Note: Mantidae
- Beier. 1964. Bronn’s Klass. Ordn. Tierreiches 5 3(6):938 >> Note: Hymenopodidae: Acromantinae: Epaphroditini
- Beier. 1968. Handb. Zool. 4((2) 2/12):6 >> Note: Hymenopodidae: Acromantinae: Epaphroditini
- Ehrmann. 2002. Mantodea der Welt 279
- Type species: Phyllocrania paradoxa Burmeister
- No first use as family-group name is recorded in the database.
- species illudens Saussure & Zehntner, 1895
- species insignis Westwood, 1843
- species paradoxa Burmeister, 1838