Above images by Cain Eyre. Check out his full Flickr photo stream, and follow him on Facebook, and his blog over on Tumblr (Dark Space Exotics).
Deroplatys truncata (Giant Dead Leaf Mantis)
Deroplatys truncata (Giant Dead Leaf Mantis) for sale
Deroplatys truncata is a species of praying mantis in the genus Deroplatys in the order Mantodea. This “dead leaf mantis” species is native to Southeast Asia.
Deroplatys desiccata takes its common name from its resemblance to dead, leafy vegetation including having a flattened, greatly extended thorax and “intricate leaf patterns” on its wings.
This creature’s camouflage is aided by its movements as well as its appearance. When disturbed, it rocks gently as if caught in the breeze. When threatened, it typically falls to the ground and lies motionless. It can also react with a threatening display.
species Deroplatys truncata Guerin-Meneville, 1843
- Specimen records are available.
- Citations (7):
- Guerin-Meneville. 1843. Souv. Voy. Inde, Ins. 65 >> Note: Choeradodis
- Saussure. 1871. Mem. Soc. Hist. nat. Geneve 21:315
- Westwood. 1889. Revis. Mantid. 23, pl. 8, fig. 6
- Kirby. 1904. Syn. Cat. Orth. 1:282 >> Note: Deroplatys
- Werner. 1923. Treubia 3(3-4):394 >> Note: of Indonesia
- Giglio-Tos. 1927. Tierreich 50:341
- Beier. 1935. Genera Insect. 201:6 >> Note: Deroplatys
- Type specimen information:
- Type locality:
- Kind of type: unspecified primary type
- synonym shelfordi Kirby, 1903
- synonym siccifolium Saussure, 1870
Taxonomical Reference: http://mantodea.speciesfile.org/Common/basic/Taxa.aspx?TaxonNameID=1183759